Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The specified module could not be found

The title of this blog is an error message I got while installing PHP 5 and Aapache 2 on a Windows XP workstation. Due to project need at work I needed to setup a local PHP environment at work. I have to confess I haven't touched PHP in probably more than 7 years and first thing I noticed was "O boy! It has come a long way". The windows installer for PHP is very well designed and implemented, almost everything was a breeze until I spot this error message in the apache error log:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'c:\\php\\ext\\php_mysql.dll' - The specified module could not be found.\r\n in Unknown on line 0

For some unknown reason certain php modules could not be loaded properly. So like anyone who is new to a certain environment I suspected that I did something wrong during the installation process and immediately started investigation and researching on google. After following many different threads and trying various fixes like adding dll folders to the $PATH, moving php.ini, checking phpinfo(); output, or even reinstall php engine but all efforts to no avail, I ended my day in discouragement and frustration.

This morning when I was fully charged on coffee and ready to take another crack at this problem, miraculously everything is working all of sudden. Right away I remembered this advice I got from a very wise friend years ago "Take a break and reboot your machine usually is the best solution if you are stuck with a problem, especially if the problem is on a windows machine". Sign~~~ how am I gonna get my wasted 3 hours of life back.

No comments: